• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sentimental Value

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ceezeecee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am a painting contractor. I've been in business for 30 years in the same town. I have a customer that I have completed 6 jobs for over the past 10 years - both residential and commercial jobs.

While finishing the lastest job, a knocked a knick-knack off the shelf. I offered to replace it for her. She called this morning (the job was completed yesterday) saying that a piece of coral on her dresser had been knocked off and broken. I didn't do this, but my helper may have. Again, I offered to compensate her for the fair value. She says that it is sentimental because her father gave it to her. She wouldn't give me a value, yet she doesn't want to drop it either. I think she plans to sue me. How much is "sentimental value" for a shell picked up on a beach worth. Do they allow sentimental value in Florida?

swalsh411

I wouldn't worry about it. She will not be successful in suing for "sentimental value". She should have removed all valuables from the room before you came to paint. You should also advise your clients to do so if you are not doing it already. It's just common sense.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am a painting contractor. I've been in business for 30 years in the same town. I have a customer that I have completed 6 jobs for over the past 10 years - both residential and commercial jobs.

While finishing the lastest job, a knocked a knick-knack off the shelf. I offered to replace it for her. She called this morning (the job was completed yesterday) saying that a piece of coral on her dresser had been knocked off and broken. I didn't do this, but my helper may have. Again, I offered to compensate her for the fair value. She says that it is sentimental because her father gave it to her. She wouldn't give me a value, yet she doesn't want to drop it either. I think she plans to sue me. How much is "sentimental value" for a shell picked up on a beach worth. Do they allow sentimental value in Florida?
"Sentimental value" is something that's hard to quantify. In your situation, it is also NOT something that a court will even consider paying for.

The item is worth what it would cost to replace it - less any depreciation. Sentimentality won't even factor into it for the court's purposes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">