• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

serve at old address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sduves

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny
are you allowed to be served at an old address you don't live at anymore? i used an address to file a claim, then was served a motion but never got it because i don't live there anymore and there's no forwarding address. that doesn't count right since you can't just send stuff to addresses people don't live at anymore and expect them to get it. can i object on grounds of proof of service?
thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, you lied when you "filed a claim?" Or did you just not inform "them" of your new address?

sduves

i didn't lie, i just didnt live there very long and since it was so short i changed the addresses on my bills to my parents place rather than that place, i moved out in less than a month. i did not inform anyone of my new address.

dcatz

Are you allowed to be served at an old address you don't live at anymore?
Yes.

i used an address to file a claim . . . i don't live there anymore and there's no forwarding address.
That’s why the answer is yes.

Can i object on grounds of proof of service?
You can but it’s not likely to be successful. You had/have an obligation to inform the court and other parties of a new “address of record”. You didn’t. The court and the other parties are entitled to use the only address that you've provided.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">