• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Service paid for in advance, but got no service... Can I get my money back ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmm_2000

What is the name of your state? california

One year and a half ago I paid a lawyer to help me in the process of getting residency helped by my wife (she is a citizen, I'm not) $1000.
We married in october '03 and she moved in with me at that time. After that I started to find that in fact she had a double life, doing drugs, she even went to jail one time before we met, she was not going to any school like she said and a lot of other nasty stuff. When I was dating her before we got married I was too busy working to suspect anything. She was living with a friend. When I found out that she got arested again for drugs and that before we met she did jail time I wanted to divorce her. One month has passed but was too late for an annulment, so I had to divorce her. I filled for divorce after she got out from jail in april '04 and got my divorce in november '04. So I didn't use the lawyer's service at all.

My question:

Am I entitled to get those $1000 back ? (i signed a contract made by that lawyer where it says that the fee is nonrefundable and has to be paid upfront)
I told him what happened with my wife. A couple of days later I tryed to talk to him but he would not open his door at the office and his secretary was telling me he will call me back but he never did. I tried many times but the same story. The secretary would tell me to wait for his call. Since then I haven't talked to him.
Do I have any chance to get my money if I take my case to small claims ?

It's not a lot of money, but I feel I was robbed, because he did nothing for me, except taking my money...

Any help appreciated !

mmm_2000

Please somebody help !

It seems no lawyer wants to help me get my money back from another lawyer... I'm a little dissapointed.
I'm still waiting for an aswer from somebody.

mmm_2000 said:
It seems no lawyer wants to help me get my money back from another lawyer... I'm a little dissapointed.
I'm still waiting for an aswer from somebody.
You think the people on here posting are lawyers? They are very few and far between on this forum. Seniorjudge is obviously a lawyer, quite knowledgable in most areas. Homeguru is a lawyer who has a real estate expertise. Lawgirl is probably a lawyer. (She is excellent when it comes to criminal law.) I am a lawyer. JETX, IAAL, RMet are about 50-50 when it comes to correct legal advice, but they are obviously not lawyers. This is an entertainment forum, not some place you should go for serious (and accurate) legal advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">