• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

service of summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DavidJonathan

Houston, TX

Can service by E-Mail effect service in a small claims court case? The person being sued had moved several times and had virtually fallen of the map, but I've got an email address for the defendant.

Thanks in advance!
--Dave.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, you're going to have to properly serve him.

http://www.texasbar.com/Content/NavigationMenu/ForThePublic/FreeLegalInformation/ConsumerTenantRights/HowToSueinSmallClaimsCourt.pdf for more information.

DavidJonathan

That's a bummer, she's totally disappeared and finding her is a real challenge ... Guess it's back to doing this the hard way.

Thank you for the fast reply though! :)

--Dave

DavidJonathan

I noticed that the Texas rules of civil procedure rule 106 say that service by any other means, If the defendant can't be found otherwise ... That's my question about service by email ... The Texas small claims information says nothing about not being able to find the defendant ... I guess that's why I'm asking.

I'm on my smartphone, sorry of the seems a bit jumbled.

--Dave

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">