• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Serving Agents or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BobbyBoy8U

What is the name of your state?California. How do I find the serving agent for a corperation I want to take to small claims court? Do I need to sue the serving agent or the Corperation itself? Who do I fil my claim against?

BobbyBoy8U said:
What is the name of your state?California. How do I find the serving agent for a corperation I want to take to small claims court? Do I need to sue the serving agent or the Corperation itself? Who do I fil my claim against?

My response:

First, you need to find out which State the corporation is incorporated. For purposes of this thread, I will presume that California is the State of incorporation.

You call the Secretary of State's Office in Sacramento (look it up on the Internet). Ask for the Corporate Department. They will send you a form, and tell you how much the request will cost. Send the form and your check back to the Secretary of State.

The Secretary of State will then send you a Memo informing you of the name, and address, of the Corporation "Agent for Service of Process."

No, you don't sue the "Agent" - - you only name, and sue, the Corporation. Once your Summons and Complaint are issued and filed, you have the Agent served with a copy of the S&C. I would STRONGLY suggest, at this point however, that you hire an "Attorney Service" to serve the Agent for Service of Process.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">