• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Serving multiple defendents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SimSportPlyr

I live in California.

I plan to sue all members of a family/household in small claims court for a single case.

Do I need to have each of them served individually, or is it sufficient to serve only one of them?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Last edited:

I live in California.

I plan to sue all members of a family/household in small claims court for a single case.

Do I need to have each of them served individually, or is it sufficient to serve only one of them?

You need to serve every defendant.

sandyclaus

I live in California.

Yup. Each and every defendant.

That's not to say that you must serve each one INDIVIDUALLY. You can legally perform substituted service upon other household members by handing the papers to just one person as long as the leave the papers with someone else at the house, at least 18 years old, who lives there. With substituted service, you MUST follow-up the handing of papers by mailing a copy to each and every defendant via first-class mail, and service is not complete until 10 days after the copy of the papers is mailed.

SimSportPlyr

Yup. Each and every defendant.

That's not to say that you must serve each one INDIVIDUALLY. You can legally perform substituted service upon other household members by handing the papers to just one person as long as the leave the papers with someone else at the house, at least 18 years old, who lives there. With substituted service, you MUST follow-up the handing of papers by mailing a copy to each and every defendant via first-class mail, and service is not complete until 10 days after the copy of the papers is mailed.
Bingo!

Thank you, thank you, sandyclaus!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">