• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Serving out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Green eyes

What is the name of your state? CA

I am the plantiff in a small claims suit filed in CA, but currently live in another state. The defendant is counter suing, but I was told that I can not be served out of the state of CA; is that correct? I was also told that by me appearing on our court date does not qualify as me being served; is that correct?

racer72

Your wrong on item one and item 2 is questionable. I was sued in California over an eBay deal and was successfully served even though I had not been in the state in 17 years. If all it took to avoid being served a lawsuit was to leave the state, lots of folks would be doing it. As far as item 2, if the person can provide proof of service, you are served. There are many ways to serve someone, a few don't even require you be personally notified.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">