• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

serving a out of state summons?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtngirl

hello, I received a summons in the mail- not certified- for a civil suit in another state. Did the court need to send me a waiver for me to agree to accept it this way?

CdwJava

These are generally unenforceable, but you can call and ask the party that served you if they are going to cover the costs for transportation and housing for the trip. Chances are that state law will require them to cover it if you opt to go.

Depending on the nature of the action and whether this is state or federal, it is likely that you cannot be charged for failing to comply.

What kind of case is it, and what are the states involved?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
These are generally unenforceable, but you can call and ask the party that served you if they are going to cover the costs for transportation and housing for the trip. Chances are that state law will require them to cover it if you opt to go.

Depending on the nature of the action and whether this is state or federal, it is likely that you cannot be charged for failing to comply.

What kind of case is it, and what are the states involved?
If she is the defendant the plaintiff doesn't have to cover any costs.

CdwJava

If she is the defendant the plaintiff doesn't have to cover any costs.
I was thinking "witness" ... didn't think about her being the defendant. If that's the case, then it be possible to simply ignore the whole matter, though that could result in a default judgment and the possibility of a garnishments or liens to satisfy an award, I suppose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">