• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

settling an old repo debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deluca2b

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
I recently missed a court date involving a repo, filed 2004. Does anyone know if this debt will haunt me until I pay it off? Or will it expire? I know the 10 year limit to file in Indiana but I have a feeling that is not the limit to pay up. I am a full time student and won't graduate for quite awhile. They already shut down my joint checking account. I think they can issue a warrant since I missed court..not sure...I was in the court house but no one called my name and I had lost my paperwork...clerks didn't seem to be able to find me in the system...the creditors know I am not working, I don't understand what t they think they can get!

deluca2b

do you know if they can issue a warrant at the request of the creditor?
(I will call the creditor tomorrow and try to figure this out...I hate to think I am going to be using school loans to settle this at this point though-that is, when banks start lending for such frivolous activities:) The local courthouse website does not mention a warrant as of the court date I missed...hope that is good news

thanks! this loser is going to bed

Antigone*

do you know if they can issue a warrant at the request of the creditor?
(I will call the creditor tomorrow and try to figure this out...I hate to think I am going to be using school loans to settle this at this point though-that is, when banks start lending for such frivolous activities:) The local courthouse website does not mention a warrant as of the court date I missed...hope that is good news

thanks! this loser is going to bed
Banks will stop lending for such frivolous activities when consumers stop asking for such firvolous loans :p

What was the purpose of the court hearing?

If the creditor has already "shut down" your account, it sounds like there is a judgment that was entered against you and the creditor is in post-judgment collection. Is this correct?

If so, there is some possibility that a warrant may be issued if you were found in contempt of court for failing to show up at a show cause hearing ... but again, we need to know the purpose of the court hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">