• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sewer / township suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beckyg

PA:
I own my home. My husband is not listed on the mortgage/title and has no affiliation with the home or mortgage.
Due to medical reasons, sewer bills went unpaid for a number of years and accrued high interest rates.
Township sued and won judgments for over $6000, which has been paid in full. In the interim, they had placed levies against our bank accounts, etc and froze all of our accounts. That initial suit listed myself and my husband as debtors. After the judgement was rendered, I retained an attorney who had the Township put in writing that after that judgement was paid, the township acknowledges that my husband is not responsible for any additional fees associated with the home.

Since paying off the judgement, additional monthly fees accrued along with additional interest charges, and the Township has now filed another suit for $2500. This suit filed was against me and my husband again, even though they made prior knowledge that he would not be a part of any additional proceedings.

I do not have the means to pay additional attorney fees, but I'm sure that they are not allowed to file suit against both of us again.

Do I have any legal "leg" to stand on? I would have to represent myself, and my husband is working out of town and would not be able to attend the hearing himself anyway.
Is there any counter-suit that I can file against the Township?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

quincy

PA:
I own my home. My husband is not listed on the mortgage/title and has no affiliation with the home or mortgage.
Due to medical reasons, sewer bills went unpaid for a number of years and accrued high interest rates.
Township sued and won judgments for over $6000, which has been paid in full. In the interim, they had placed levies against our bank accounts, etc and froze all of our accounts. That initial suit listed myself and my husband as debtors. After the judgement was rendered, I retained an attorney who had the Township put in writing that after that judgement was paid, the township acknowledges that my husband is not responsible for any additional fees associated with the home.

Since paying off the judgement, additional monthly fees accrued along with additional interest charges, and the Township has now filed another suit for $2500. This suit filed was against me and my husband again, even though they made prior knowledge that he would not be a part of any additional proceedings.

I do not have the means to pay additional attorney fees, but I'm sure that they are not allowed to file suit against both of us again.

Do I have any legal "leg" to stand on? I would have to represent myself, and my husband is working out of town and would not be able to attend the hearing himself anyway.
Is there any counter-suit that I can file against the Township?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I see no countersuit available to you, based on what you have written here.

The fact that your husband is listed as a co-defendant in the suit does not relieve you of your responsibility to pay the township what is owed. Your husband can move to be removed from the suit if he wishes to, though.

I recommend you pay the $2500 so that joint accounts are not attached, and then try to keep up with the payments in the future so you are not sued again.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">