• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SF Muni driver refuses to let passenger off the bus.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

single317dad

Picture, if you will, a country boy new to the big city. Said big city has the idea that all people need to go downtown, that no one could possibly need to go from, say, northwest to northeast directly. Meanwhile, said country boy lives on the northwest side and lands gainful employment on the northeast side, 15.4 miles away as the Google-crow flies (his great-great-grandpappy was fond of that saying).

The journey by bus is nearly 3 hours each way, 6 days a week. Point A is conveniently located 15 feet outside his apartment door, with Point Z a mere 9 blocks from the gainful employment. Hours of employment are 2p-9p, Monday-Saturday. Bus service gets very sparse after 11 p.m.

The route requires an exchange downtown, as all routes run through a glorious place call "Penn and Ohio", which the country boy comes to know as the Grand Central Station of Indiana. Rather than golden halls and polished terrazzo floors, this central hub of transportation consists of four glass bus shelters, positioned one per corner, each with convenient bench seating. Little does our protagonist realize, but each bus is not available at each corner; rather, one must await at the proper corner if one wishes to catch the bus going his direction (imagine that!)

Follow now our country boy as he dutifully sets off to work, his smile broad and his mind open to the possibilities that lay before him in his youth and vigor. Once across town, without a hitch, as bus A drops us at just the right corner, and bus B picks us up and delivers us, as promised, with the assistance of our friendly driver who knows exactly the spot we're headed. Later that day, we return much as we departed, but something's a little different: we're not on the same corner; we're on the opposite side of the shabby corner, it's dark now, toward the end of the bus schedules, and there are more other people, more car traffic, and our country boy has become confused.

Not to be easily thwarted, he pulls out his handy bus pamphlet, including various routes and schedules. With the help of his trusty Timex, he confirms that, indeed, there should be one more bus arriving at this very intersection any moment which will bear him home to a well-earned meal, shower, and slumber. He looks up from his study just in time to see that very bus (!); alas, it has arrived on the corner opposite our hero, and cannot be reached before it has resumed its journey without him.

Cue dramatic score.

This has left our beloved country boy in quite a quandary: he has little in the way of currency, an empty belly, tired feet, and greatly diminished morale, but he has right and might on his side, and by the gods, he will get home tonight! (or, early tomorrow, probably) So, off he walks, into unfamiliar territory, with only his bus map and faint memories of Rand McNally as a guide. He visits the charming burgh of Haughville, where he learns what that one black kid he went to school with must have felt like to be "unique", learns about entrepreneurship as young men do business from their car windows and young ladies offer their wares from dark places, broadens his musical palette to now include the newly emerging genre of "gangster rap", which is apparently properly played at full volume, and discovers that there aren't enough sidewalks along city streets.

The final lesson this boy (who had, by the end, taken another step toward manhood) came away with was that in all things where one is to face the unknown, a little extra research and a practice run sure can't hurt.

Silverplum

Welll .... for those of you who are not familiar with SF, there are parts of that town *I* wouldn't want to be let off in - much less my 15 year old child! And I carry a gun and a badge!

But, that being as it may, I agree that there is no case against the Muni for the driver not stopping. If they stop the Express for her, they will soon be stopping for everyone and the bus is no longer an Express and the purpose for it is gone, kaput, over. It's a learning experience for her. We've all had them! I've been that young riding the bus in the Bay Area AND in SF and gotten on the wrong bus before, and I learned form my mistakes. She will learn from hers, too.

@AMdnham314, your sister should be fine. She can learn from this and maybe next time she will study the bus schedule much more carefully.
Amtrak said the train went to SF. Nope, the train went to somewhere nearby, then the passengers who wanted to go to SF were boarded onto a bus and taken to the bus station in the "Tenderloin District."

That is not where I wanted to be, and not where I thought I'd be, and Amtrak didn't *warn* me about any of it. It's certainly not where my friend wanted to pick me up! :eek:

I guess I should have sued Amtrak, the bus company, the bus driver, and the ~Inhabitants~ of the bus station in the Tenderloin. Drat. Missed my chance. :cool:

CdwJava

The first time I got lost in the Tenderloin, the denizens of the night were wearing beads and tie-dyed shirts ... and Vietnam had been over for about 4 years. Heck .,.. guess that coulda been last week, too!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">