• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SF Muni driver refuses to let passenger off the bus.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dnham314

My younger sister was taking the SF Muni to her new and first job for the first time (it was her 2nd day). Little did she know, the bus she boarded was an Express bus and the next stop was roughly 5 miles away. She asked the driver to let her off the bus but the driver refused. She had no other choice but to get off 5 miles away from the stop she intended to get off at and took another bus back. She was almost an hour late to work. Does she have a case here?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My younger sister was taking the SF Muni to her new and first job for the first time (it was her 2nd day). Little did she know, the bus she boarded was an Express bus and the next stop was roughly 5 miles away. She asked the driver to let her off the bus but the driver refused. She had no other choice but to get off 5 miles away from the stop she intended to get off at and took another bus back. She was almost an hour late to work. Does she have a case here?
You have GOT to be kidding, right? :rolleyes:

Just Blue

A case? For what? Sister messed up and had to take another bus. So what? If she is old enough to have a job she is old enough to look at the bus she is boarding.

Last edited by a moderator:

dnham314

She is 15 years old. How would you feel if your 15 year old was forced to go all the way across town to a part of the city she's never even come close to when the driver could have simply opened the door at a stop light to let her off.

I'mTheFather

Of course you're concerned. However, you can't blame the driver. It's not his fault that she got on the wrong bus. I'm not familiar with SF and it's public transportation, but it's probable the driver is prohibited from letting passengers off at undesignated stops.

Is 5 miles really all the way across town in SF??

Just Blue

She is 15 years old. How would you feel if your 15 year old was forced to go all the way across town to a part of the city she's never even come close to when the driver could have simply opened the door at a stop light to let her off.
At 15 she is old enough to READ THE SIGN. The Bus driver did his JOB.

BTW...Same thing happened to me in Boston....Kinda sucked but I never did it again. ;)

Your 15 year old sister has had a learning experience. ;):)

Silverplum

Of course you're concerned. However, you can't blame the driver. It's not his fault that she got on the wrong bus. I'm not familiar with SF and it's public transportation, but it's probable the driver is prohibited from letting passengers off at undesignated stops.

Is 5 miles really all the way across town in SF??
I lived there some time ago, used public transportation every day. It's a small-ish city, but 5 miles is not the entirety of the locale. :cool:

CdwJava

Welll .... for those of you who are not familiar with SF, there are parts of that town *I* wouldn't want to be let off in - much less my 15 year old child! And I carry a gun and a badge!

But, that being as it may, I agree that there is no case against the Muni for the driver not stopping. If they stop the Express for her, they will soon be stopping for everyone and the bus is no longer an Express and the purpose for it is gone, kaput, over. It's a learning experience for her. We've all had them! I've been that young riding the bus in the Bay Area AND in SF and gotten on the wrong bus before, and I learned form my mistakes. She will learn from hers, too.

@AMdnham314, your sister should be fine. She can learn from this and maybe next time she will study the bus schedule much more carefully.

Just Blue

Welll .... for those of you who are not familiar with SF, there are parts of that town *I* wouldn't want to be let off in - much less my 15 year old child! And I carry a gun and a badge!

But, that being as it may, I agree that there is no case against the Muni for the driver not stopping. If they stop the Express for her, they will soon be stopping for everyone and the bus is no longer an Express and the purpose for it is gone, kaput, over. It's a learning experience for her. We've all had them! I've been that young riding the bus in the Bay Area AND in SF and gotten on the wrong bus before, and I learned form my mistakes. She will learn from hers, too.

@AMdnham314, your sister should be fine. She can learn from this and maybe next time she will study the bus schedule much more carefully.
My 25 year old lives in SF...I am sure there are places I would FREAK OUT about her being in...if she got on the wrong bus. ;)

My Boston dilemma resulted in me, at 17, stuck in Roxbury (not the good part of town) for 2 hours till a bus came that would take me where I needed to go. As I stated...It was a learning experience. :):cool:

davew128

My 25 year old lives in SF...I am sure there are places I would FREAK OUT about her being in...if she got on the wrong bus. ;)
She was probably a Raiders fan.

My Boston dilemma resulted in me, at 17, stuck in Roxbury (not the good part of town) for 2 hours till a bus came that would take me where I needed to go. As I stated...It was a learning experience. :):cool:
You can thank Judge Gerrity for those buses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">