• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shadetree mechanics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shortstop921

What is the name of your state?Georgia

After having my car checked out at a well known auto repair shop,I decided to take it to a mechanic that does work on the side. He was referred to me by my sister. I told him what the autoshop said was the problem and he agreed to look into into and let me know if he could fix it. Well, after a day or say he told my boyfriend and I that it was not what the autoshop had said but it was something else. We bought the part he told ua to get and he agreed to do replace the part for 225.00 dollars for labor. Keep in mind that he assured us over and over again that replacing this part would fix the problem and the car would start up again. After he had replaced the part, evendently, he still could not get the car to start. It took him two weeks of giving us the run around before he told us he found something else that was similiar to what the autoshop had said earlier. Now he wants $225.00 but I still don't have a working car like he promised.

How can I get my car back from this guy?
Am I obligated to pay him eventhough his misdiagnosed the problem aftre I told him what the autoshop had said about the car?
PLEASE HELP?

Last edited:

BL

shortstop921 said:
What is the name of your state?Georgia

After having my car checked out at a well known auto repair shop,I decided to take it to a mechanic that does work on the side. He was referred to me by my sister. I told him what the autoshop said was the problem and he agreed to look into into and let me know if he could fix it. Well, after a day or say he told my boyfriend and I that it was not what the autoshop had said but it was something else. We bought the part he told ua to get and he agreed to do replace the part for 225.00 dollars for labor. Keep in mind that he assured us over and over again that replacing this part would fix the problem and the car would start up again. After he had replaced the part, evendently, he still could not get the car to start. It took him two weeks of giving us the run around before he told us he found something else that was similiar to what the autoshop had said earlier. Now he wants $225.00 but I still don't have a working car like he promised.

How can I get my car back from this guy?
Am I obligated to pay him eventhough his misdiagnosed the problem aftre I told him what the autoshop had said about the car?
PLEASE HELP?
You will have to get the Estimate from the original well known shop .

You will then have to take the " other Mechanic " to Court .

You should and have a right to have yet 3rd , unbiased Mechanic diagnose the problem .

If both the first and 3rd diagnoses determine that the repairs the 2nd Mechanic did was NOT necessary , then try negotiating with him for the return of your car , or take him to Court .

The burden of proof is on the car owner . A court will take the word of a Mechanic , unless you have solid Proof that repairs were not done properly , or were done when not needed .

To ask brief and detailed repair problem questions , IE: what the diagnoses was , what parts names are you talking about , what further diagnoses were , to try to get a feel if you are on the right track , go to batauto.com , left side select domestic for American autos , or find foreign , if foreign .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">