• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shady business practice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sugarbelly

What is the name of your state? WI

Had light service work done at the dealer in Milwaukee, like I have for 4 years now.

Up attempting to pay the bill, found neither of my cards worked (Madison-based credit union). The annoyed cashier offered to call a manager to help resolve the issue, which I said would be wonderful. She then kindly informed me, my car would not be released without payment. Instead of a dealer manager, a service manager arrives.

I explain my bank isn't in town, I just used their internet to make certain all is well with my funds, but my cards still don't work. He just shook his head. I jokingly asked to borrow a loaner (if they weren't going to release my car), so I could drive to my Madison credit union to fix things. He said he didn't have a loaner available. Again, he shakes his head and says he'll get a head manager.

No manager arrives.

Instead, a nice fellow arrives offering to drive me to an ATM. I feel odd, but accept... Since, in the interim, the cashier has loudly handed my keys off to an service attendant, asking him to drive my car around back and park it. [We're only talking $275 & I'm a 4-year customer.]

Needless to say, - very embarrassing!

End result: we drive to an ATM which is out of service. So, even though its 5 o'clock, I call my credit union and luckily get someone. I find that the credit union suffered a security breach and issued new cards to some account members, and my other account was temporarily capped for purchases or withdrawls at $250.

So, we return to the dealership, (the other cashier now gone). No worries. I split the bill into two separate payments, all is well, and I am free to go.

Upon arriving back in Madison I was so upset at this treatment I vowed to ask if there's any recourse, beyond a very unhappy letter.

-thanks in advance, all.

Shay-Pari'e

They offered to drive you to a ATM, and you want to complain? It's not the dealers fault that your cards did not work.

Of all the things in the world to complain about.:rolleyes:

sugarbelly

interesting perspectives

I found it odd a merchant could retain private property in lieu of payment for services.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">