• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shady mechanic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlueByU

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Ok this might be rather long but these are the details:

A friend of mine said he could fix my fuel injectors because they were leaking onto the manifold...we bought new o-rings and he just replaced those. When he was done the car would not start. It would just crank without catching. He looked over what he had did and couldnt find out why it was not starting. I then took it to a certified mechanic and he doesnt do a code scan on it and just replaces the timing chain. I pick it up and it still doesnt act right. And when I picked it up it had a spark plug off and 2 vacuum lines not plugged in. He didnt believe me when I told him this and said they must have "fallen off" on my way home. Ive driven this car for approx. 30,000 miles thru 8 states and over mountains so I doubt they fell off in 3 blocks! So I now have it at another garage and that mechanic looks at my old timing chain (I took it when I got the car) and says there's nothing wrong with it! I was charged $379 for absolutely nothing! The mechanic who has it now says the seating of the cups on the bottom of the fuel injectors may have been put on wrong and thats causing the injectors to flood the engine and thats why it wont start and/or causing the backfire. I still owe the "shady mechanic" $129 but I dont feel I should pay that balance and I should be somehow reimbursed for work that was unnecessary.

Ill provide more details if needed. This has been a week and a half of pure dizzyness.

And Ive had to rent a car to get around. Is he also responsible for those charges?

Last edited:

BL

While you may have legitimate complaints , you need solid proof instead of may haves , etc . regarding the fuel injector seats . If a mechanic fixed them and it cured the problem , that would be proof that the " shady mechanic " did not repair them properly .

You could then , negotiate reimbursement or take it to Court .

regarding the timing chain :

Even though that may not have been the problem , the fact is you still have a New timing chain installed .

Mechanics disagree . Again you need proof you did NOT need the new part .

Again try negotiating a fair settlement , some reimbursement , or reinstall the old chain and refund , or take it to court .

I have personally went through the Attorney General's or the Better business ( if they are a member ) , and/or small claims .

BlueByU

I have the old timing chain with me...the current mechanic working on it said there was nothing wrong with it. (he checked it) Im willing to give the "shady mechanic" the $48 it costs to buy the timing chain but I dont feel I should pay him $176 for installing it if it didnt need it. (on top of other "repairs")
Heres the confusing part: the friend put in the injector o-rings. It was when he was done that the car wouldnt start. The "SM" did not even check those injectors after he was told that it was JUST done a day prior. He immediately jumped on the higher priced wagon and went after a non-related part.
I filed a complaint with the BBB yet they are not a member. I have never dealt with the BBB before or small claims courts. This all new to me. I just feel like I was taken for a ride.

BL

You need more that HE ( other mechanic ) said . You need him as a whiteness in small claims ( ask the clerk for a subpoena if he's unwilling to be a whiteness voluntarily ) , or a statement on his shops letter head might suffice , but live whiteness is better .

If they are NOT a member of the BBB , all the BBB can do is put the complaint and their rating on file .

Also , the Attorney General's office has complaint forms , but in all honesty , the SM don't HAVE TO respond . That office will only get involved if there is a pattern of consumer fraud .

Search for ( your State ) small claims to see what's involved .

Again you have to show to the Court some kind of proof to substantiate your claim . It will be up to the Judge to decide .

I was lucky that in a similar case of unneeded parts in one case they belonged to the BBB , I got a small refund .

In another , in small claims I lost , because I had the new part in the car , and the old part was gone , so it could not be reinstalled by the shop .

Small claims filing fees are small , and the process is informal ( peoples court ) . Just have you ducks in a row , and let the Judge decide .

BlueByU

Thanks I appreciate the help. I asked the current mechanic if I could sue the SM...he said, "You'd be in a long line with others." That really didnt make the SM look good at all. I just thought for $379 the car should have ran without ANY problems whatsoever if he inspected it like the invoice says he did. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">