• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

She bought the ring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tash15

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Background:
  • October 2008 - my girlfriend charged a refrigerator and a stove to her credit card (that is still currently in my house)
  • November 2008: we got engaged. She charged the ring to her credit card (which she is still currently in possession of)
  • March 2009 - she left me and moved out of the house. (I have email proof showing it was her decision to leave). We both signed a paper saying that I would pay the refrigerator, stove and ring (I don't have a copy).
  • June 2010 - we talked and she agreed to sell the ring. she listed the ring for sale on Craigslist (I have email where she notified me that she posted the ring for sale)
  • July 2010 - I have been paying her monthy since the charges were made and as of July 2010 I have paid appliances in full including interest.
She is now threatening to take me to small claims court (I'm assuming because she can't sell the ring) and have the refrigerator removed from my house. Her thought is that I have paid the ring in full and not the appliances. I don't feel I owe her anything because:

• we incurred the appliance debt before the ring debt and this is the order in which I paid
  • she charged the ring on her personal credit card and she is currently in possession of it
  • she is the one who broke off the engagement and left me
  • she agreed to sell the ring and listed it for sale

Question:
  • Does she have a case against me?
  • If she does take me to court, what will I need to bring to be prepared and argue my case?
  • According to her records, I have paid $118 over the amount of the appliances including interest. Will this have any bearing if this goes to court?
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tash15

I have not asked for a copy but I will. about a month or two ago I asked her for copies of the original receipts and the credit card statements (to ensure she had not been making additional charges to her card). She initially refused saying that she would provide the original receipts only when everything has been paid in full. Eventually she provided me with a copy of the ring purchase receipt but not the appliance receipts. What if she refuses to provide a copy of the signed paper?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">