• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

She stole from me and I have concrete proof

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

belminf

Good morning everyone.

[Jurisdiction: I am from NYC (as is the person who stole from me). The crime occurred in a party in New Jersey]

A former HS classmate stole my Treo smartphone from me in a party. It is worth about $400. I actually made a site with all the evidence:

http://iambelmin.com/and_vanessa_stole_my_treo/

Originally, it was just to show all my friends the evidence and to see if they agree. Now that it seems that mostly everyone seems to agree with me, I wanted to move on with my options. Several questions:

1) Should I put the site down? It has already served it's purpose--to be able to present the evidence to our circle and to be able to hear their opinions about the whole thing. Would it hurt me legally? I was told that it could be defamation but I also heard that as long as I don't intentionally spread lies, I am fine. But is there any other way it could hurt me legally?

2) I have not reported it stolen just because I was hoping I would receive it back. Is this a necessary step? How would I go about it?

3) Is it even worth going to small claims for it? As far as monetary that is. I won't care as long as I break even. I just wouldn't want her to get away with it. Would a judge even listen to a case of about $500 (Cellphone, SIM card and SD card lost). How about personal information I had on there? Is that worth anything?

Thank you for any guidance you are able to offer me!
--Belmin

fairisfair

Thanks Y.A.G.

How about concerns 1 and 2 from original message? Anybody?
as for reporting it stolen, you pick up the phone and call the police. Please, do not dial 911

IMHO, I would take down the site. Take care of your problem in the legal manner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">