• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shipped Computer, Still no payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fedupw/theworld

What is the name of your state? WA

Hope someone can advise on this situation. I'll start by saying, yes i was stupid. I posted an ad on CraigsList and met a buyer using one name (I won't use it, I'll just call her Jane). She asked to pay through a United States Postal Service Money Order. I said sure and received an email supposedly from the USPS stating that the money order would be mailed within three to five business days and that it was alright to go ahead and ship the computer so I did.

Needless to say I have not received the money order. I still have all the emails from the buyer as well as the email that was supposedly from the USPS. What can I do? I think I can take Jane to small claims court, but i also have the address I shipped the computer to. Can't i just go and get the computer back with the cops?

Thanks!:confused:

Contact the USPS and verify the validity of the USPS money order, and email. If there was in fact no money order sent, then you can send her a certified Return Receipt Requested letter stating that you demand the agreed upon ammount in payment for the item in X number of days and that if she refuses, you will file suit in court.

meanwhile, look up your small claims court rules, figure out how/where to file - there's LOTS of self help pages for that ... here's a REAL LONG web address, but it takes you to the washington small claims court self help page ... (you'll have to cut & paste)

http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/WA/showdocument.cfm/County/ /City/ /demoMode/= 1/Language/1/State/WA/TextOnly/N/ZipCode/ /LoggedIn/0/rpc/1090200/doctype/dynamicdoc/ichannelprofileid/16509/idynamicdocid/2045/iorganizationid/1553/itopicID/859/iProblemCodeID/1090200/iChannelID/7/isubtopicid/1/iproblemcodeid/1090200

--Dave.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You got scammed.

How much would you like to bet the address you sent it to isn't even aware of what's going on...
You can try to collect, but you won't have any luck :(

racer72

USPS does not notify sellers of items that a money order has been sent. You will find the email addresses are likely gone and "Jane" will be nowhere to be found. This reminds of what a friend said after a similiar experience, "Put a stick up my butt and call me Lollypop".

racer72

Contact the USPS and verify the validity of the USPS money order, and email. If there was in fact no money order sent, then you can send her a certified Return Receipt Requested letter stating that you demand the agreed upon ammount in payment for the item in X number of days and that if she refuses, you will file suit in court.

meanwhile, look up your small claims court rules, figure out how/where to file - there's LOTS of self help pages for that ... here's a REAL LONG web address, but it takes you to the washington small claims court self help page ... (you'll have to cut & paste)

http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/WA/showdocument.cfm/County/ /City/ /demoMode/= 1/Language/1/State/WA/TextOnly/N/ZipCode/ /LoggedIn/0/rpc/1090200/doctype/dynamicdoc/ichannelprofileid/16509/idynamicdocid/2045/iorganizationid/1553/itopicID/859/iProblemCodeID/1090200/iChannelID/7/isubtopicid/1/iproblemcodeid/1090200

--Dave.

Dave, try the below next time.

http://www.tinyurl.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">