• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I return the deposit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ScooterSales

What is the name of your state?I live in Illinois.

I am in the process of selling a scooter for $1200. I had several interested parties in mid-July but only one person was able to meet my price. The downside was she was not going to have the money in her account until mid-August. She offered to give me a $200 deposit to hold the scooter for her, and wrote in the memo line "200 down, 1000 owed" Her personal check cleared and I allowed my newspaper ads to lapse even though I had time remaining on them. She contacted me after getting the money in August and we arranged to meet to make the transaction. I told her (as I had previously) that I was uncomfortable giving up possession of the vehicle for an unsecured out-of-state personal check. She hemmed and hawed about how she could not get a cashier's check (her bank is in California) and did not want to wire the money to my account because "I'd have to go to Kinkos and fax them a form, and pay $25 to my bank." I offered to take the $25 off the remainder owed and she told me she would simply give me the check and let me keep the scooter until it cleared. I agreed, but when we met up, she said she had changed her mind and was just going to go to a dealer, and now wants her deposit back. As I understood it, a deposit is a security given to make sure the seller holds the item in question. I held the scooter for around a month before she told me she had changed her mind. As she broke our sales agreement, I think she forfeits her deposit. There were no contracts or paperwork between us, save for the check. Am I liable if she decides to litigate?

Thank you.

JETX

ScooterSales said:
Am I liable if she decides to litigate?
No one can answer with any specificity, as it would likely be up to the evidence presented in court. She could claim that you promised to return, you that there was no such agreement. The court would decide based on credibility.

ScooterSales

JETX said:
No one can answer with any specificity, as it would likely be up to the evidence presented in court. She could claim that you promised to return, you that there was no such agreement. The court would decide based on credibility.
As far as I know, there is no evidence or record of any kind, save for the check. Nor were there any witnesses to our conversations or transactions. Does the burden fall on her or myself to prove whether such an agreement existed? Or, as you said, does it fall strictly along credibility lines?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">