• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xcait

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Long story short..

Friend and I traveled 3hrs south to Virginia Beach for a quick vacation at her uncle's house. We shared a bedroom, and often hung out in our room looking up beach attractions on my laptop. The best connection we could get was on the floor so we often lied there.

One night she was drinking a beer and talking on the phone. She set the beer on the edge of the bed..went to reach for it, and it fell on my laptop, sending beer thru and thru.

The laptop is ruined. Repair estimates are around $800 and since the computer is worth around $900, I told her I'd pay the 100 dollar difference for a new one, because I need my computer back FAST!

Well, now my friend is refusing to pay for it because it was "my responsibility because I brought it" even though it could have happened at either of our homes. She's being a total child about it all..cursing me out and calling me names. I have an AOL conversation in which she repeatedly admits guilt but that she won't pay for it.

We are both 18 years old, so I am legally allowed to bring her to civil court, correct? Also, she was drinking a beer and I don't want her to be brought up on underage drinking charges..this won't happen if we're in civil court, right?

Thanks!

BL

xcait said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

Long story short..

Friend and I traveled 3hrs south to Virginia Beach for a quick vacation at her uncle's house. We shared a bedroom, and often hung out in our room looking up beach attractions on my laptop. The best connection we could get was on the floor so we often lied there.

One night she was drinking a beer and talking on the phone. She set the beer on the edge of the bed..went to reach for it, and it fell on my laptop, sending beer thru and thru.

The laptop is ruined. Repair estimates are around $800 and since the computer is worth around $900, I told her I'd pay the 100 dollar difference for a new one, because I need my computer back FAST!

Well, now my friend is refusing to pay for it because it was "my responsibility because I brought it" even though it could have happened at either of our homes. She's being a total child about it all..cursing me out and calling me names. I have an AOL conversation in which she repeatedly admits guilt but that she won't pay for it.

We are both 18 years old, so I am legally allowed to bring her to civil court, correct? Also, she was drinking a beer and I don't want her to be brought up on underage drinking charges..this won't happen if we're in civil court, right?

Thanks!
You are legal age to bring File Small Claims action , however re-read your post .

Your claim is she Damaged your PC by spilling beer on it , but do not want to bring it up in Court .

Bottom Line , your are negligent by leaving the PC on the Floor .

Quit trying to make it look like it was her fault , grow up .

sending beer thru and thru.
That is not poetry either .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">