• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

backld

What is the name of your state? OHIO

A friend of mine was having financial trouble and was speaking to me about buying/joining his business a small used car lot. We spoke over a few weeks and never quite got the details worked out, who would pay what, how would the profits be split....

While we were trying to work out the details I had an older car that I owned and never drove, and my father also had an older car that needed work. I told my friend that if he put the cars on his lot, fixed any mechanical problems and sold them that I would give him 50% of the sales price. He agreed and I signed the title and gave it to him, my father signed the title of his car and gave it to him. We did not sign the titles in front of a notary, his wife is a notary and he told me that she would take care of the titles.

He called a few days later and said that my car had sold for $1300. My father’s car sat on the lot for a month. On Dec 23rd he called my cell phone and said he had someone interested in my father’s car and asked how much he should sell it for, I told him since it wasn’t fixed he could sell it cheaper. I told him the range of $1200-$1500 and he could have 50% of the sales price. I’ve not spoken to him since that conversation; he won’t answer or return my calls. I’ve called his home number, his cell number and the car lot.

I did speak to one of the employees at the car lot, he confirmed that the car did sell but didn’t know the details of the sale.

Should I sue? Should I threaten to sue? Should I contact the states dealer license office? Should I hire a lawyer? Is this small claims? Would I be able to combine the suits, or would my father’s be separate? What are my options? My father is older and has health problems and is very upset by this. I really don’t want him to deal with this since I arranged it.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">