• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should my security deposit be returned?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlackTransWS6

Hello,

I am seeking legal advice for a potential small claims case. I rented a condo from an owner for 2 years and paid a security deposit of $850 each time I renewed my lease. When I moved out, my security deposit was not returned. Instead, 2 1/2 months later a bill from my landlord shows up for around $3000. I wrote about 90% of my new address (going from memory) on the form the landlord provided the day we did the walkthrough. I also provided her with a phone number and email address. Among the excessive damages listed are: carpet replacement, laminate floor replacement, exterior powerwashing, interior cleaning, and a fee for dog crap removal. My "rescue" dog did do some damage before she was properly trained. The amount of damage listed is...disputable at best. The fact is, I cleaned the place before I left. I steam-cleaned the carpets, mopped the floors, cleaned the bathroom, kitchen, bedrooms ect.

Under Michigan law the landlord must send a written statement detailing any damages within 30 days. If not, my understanding is, my security deposit must be returned. It took more than 70 days to get anything from my landlord. However, it took me longer than 4 days to provide my full address in an email. Should my security deposit be returned? Am I responsible for these damages ($3000)? Would appreciate any advice.

BlackTransWS6

Also, once I completed the pet registration form, my rent went up $25/mo. for the dog. Shouldn't that cover pet damages? Maybe i'm reaching here...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">