• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should storage fees be inforced.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? minnesota

My Daughters friend dropped several items of hers at my house about 3 years a go. This was without my knowledge. I tried to contact her friend to have her come remove her things but could not locate her. Approxiamtely 6 months ago she came and picked up her things and there were 2 lamps missing. These lamps were taken by my son to a friends house because after 2 years he thought she was never coming back. Well now my son passed away before she came to get the things and we are unable to locate the lamps. Ever since she has been calling and threatening my family and just harassing us for money. Should I take her to court and sue for storing her things or just pay her for the missing lamps? We need the harassing to stop we have been through enough lately.

JETX

Your choices are pretty much as you stated them:
1) You can refuse any compensation as they were abandoned. She will eventually get tired of 'chasing you', or possibly file a lawsuit to try to recover the value. If she were to litigate, I feel strongly that, under the circumstances she would likely not prevail.
or
2) You can pay her the reasonable USED, garage sale value and get a reciept and release. At least this would put this issue in the past where it belongs.

BTW, you have no claim to storage fees, since there was no previous agreement for them.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">