• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed contract but didn't hand contract back to landlord!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Forumhelp111

Hi

This happened in the UK, but I imagine contract law is very similar in the US.

A landlord gave me a tenancy agreement for a room, I paid him a deposit and first months rent up front. I took the contract home and signed it, but I never handed the contract back as I instantly changed my mind about the whole tenancy.

Landlord refused to give my money back.

My small claims court hearing is in one month. I have the only original signed copy of the contract which I'm putting a copy of in the trial bundle. Shall I scribble my signature out? Is this contract enforced even though I didn't give it back?

Is there a process for removing a signature from a contract in this example? I'm a little weary about the whole situation really,

quincy

Hi

This happened in the UK, but I imagine contract law is very similar in the US.

A landlord gave me a tenancy agreement for a room, I paid him a deposit and first months rent up front. I took the contract home and signed it, but I never handed the contract back as I instantly changed my mind about the whole tenancy.

Landlord refused to give my money back.

My small claims court hearing is in one month. I have the only original signed copy of the contract which I'm putting a copy of in the trial bundle. Shall I scribble my signature out? Is this contract enforced even though I didn't give it back?

Is there a process for removing a signature from a contract in this example? I'm a little weary about the whole situation really,
You imagine wrong. Contract laws in the UK have differences.

And landlord/tenant laws are different. In fact, in the US, landlord tenant laws vary in significant ways just from state to state.

I suggest you seek help with your contract issue in the UK or on a UK forum. Here is one: http://www.thelawforum.co.uk/

eerelations

Contract law is different in the UK.

Besides which, you are really talking about landlord-tenant law, which in the UK is about as different from US landlord-tenant law as night is to day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">