• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

simple contract out of control now

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TWISTED II

Illinois, Kane County

I'll try to keep this as simple as possible everyone.

I drove, modified, and repaired a vehicle in my dads name. I wanted to sell it, so my dad said that since i was the primary driver, and hes never actually even driven it, that i should find a buyer. my friend was interested, so i told him the selling price was 7000 dollars. he talked to his dad, and his dad looked up KBB value and said he would only pay 3500 dollars. i refused the offer and said i would keep looking for a buyer. (my car had extensive aftermarket work done, and was worth well over KBB value.)

my friend contacted me a few days later saying this, "if your dad sells my dad the car for 3500, i'll sign a contract with you promising to give you more money in 6 months." i said "well, you have to do it though, i don't want to get screwed because i can get more for this car." he assured me that if my dad sold his dad the car for 3500, he would sign a contract stating that he would give me 3250 additional money, basically in an unsecured loan.

there is no reposession possible, it was not a lien, and i am in no way asking for the car back. the bill of sale was signed and paid by my dad to my friends dad, and that transaction is final, and complete. so now, i am stuck taking my friend to court over the 3250 he signed a contract agreeing to pay me.

do i have a case? his lawyers are contacting us telling us we have no right, and that if i don't throw out the lawsuit against this guys son, that he will come after me and my dad with criminal charges and force us to buy the car back for more than we sold it for, even though the bill of sale states no returns, as is, no warranty, and the buyer is responsible for all maintenance, etc.... any and all advice would be GREATLY appreciated. i dunno why i get myself into these things. thanks for listening everyone.

Last edited:

TWISTED II

oh, and i forgot to ask, what ways can i go about collecting my money in the event the judgement is in my favor? he is broke. no job, no money, no car in his name, etc. thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">