• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sister-state judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

madmangil

What is the name of your state? california
i won a judgement in a california court against a company that has a headquarters in south carolina. what court in south carolina do i file the sister-state judgement? how can i get the necessary forms for the filing?
thank you
gil

BL

Did not the court send the other party a copy of the Judgement ?

Why don't you sent headquarters a copy of the Judgement and demand payment under the law ?

M

madmangil

Blonde Lebinese,
Of course the court sent them a judgement. They have ignored it just like they ignored the summons to appear in court, just like they ignored the emails that I sent to them, just like they ignored the letters that I sent to them. etc. They realize that I need to collect from across the country which most people would not bother to do or just end up giving up on. This is why I need to do a sister-state judgement.

If they had ten people like me that they owed $1000.00 to and they ignored all ten of them...
half would probably not bother to do anything because they don't know how and because it is too much trouble
half of what is left would probably file the wrong papers or file them in the wrong court and then give up on it
two or three might end up being successful and collect their money
That means that the company got away with $7000 or $8000 by not doing the work of paying what they owe. This is profitable business practice.

BL

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?threadid=159361&goto=newpost

Do a search on sister city judgment .

You may have to retain an attorney to file your Foreign Judgment Order in the that States Jurisdiction , if that procedure is required.

I'd suggest doing a search on the web for the Court nearest the Co's Head courters , get the contact info., tel. #s, ext. and contact the Chief Clerks both at the Superior level and small claims , for procedures .

racer72

The judgement you have in California isn't worth the paper it's printed on in South Carolina. You, or a SC attorney you will have to hire, will have to ask a SC court to domesticate the judgement. Only then can you take any action against the person/company you sued. You also will face other problems. How do you plan to collect the judgement? What if the debtor appeals the domestication? You may be required to appear in court in SC. Are you prepared to go to South Carolina?

JETX

From Georgetown County SC website:
"Q: What is the cost to file a Foreign Judgment?
A: When filing a Foreign Judgment, you must file an affidavit stating that the judgment is final, uncontested, unsatisfied in whole or in part. If in part, the amount of the remaining balance should be stated also. A certified sealed copy of the Judgment and a sealed Exemplification of the Clerk of Court and the Presiding Judge, are required. The filing fee is $100.00."

This filing will need to be done in a Circuit Court. To find out the process, a list of Court Clerks (by county) in SC can be found at:
http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/trial/clerks/clerkListCoPF.cfm

Finally, the SC state code regarding enforcing foreign judgments is in §15-35-900, et seq, and can be found at:
http://www.lpitr.state.sc.us/code/t15c035.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">