• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elanddp

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
Sorry-didn't know where to post this.
Father in law died 2 weeeks ago. Husband and I went and stayed with step mother in law 2 nights. She accused my husband of stealing an electric black & decker drill and $40. She called a few family members and told them that she KNOWS he stole the drill.
We purchased the drill a couple months back at Lowe's. She's demanded to see receipts and demanded her $40 back.
We purchased a flag and staff from family dollar and installed it on her porch while there (father in law was a firefighter). That's the day my husband removed our drill from the trunk of our car (was in there b/c he installed deadbolts at work & had not taken it out when we found out father in law died) and used it to install it on the porch. She lives in a trailer park and has two trailers. She had my husband and I go over to the second trailer on THURSDAY to retrieve laxatives, a leg brace, dog medicine, and makeup.
Point is....husband didn't go to second trailer and steal a freaking drill. She's telling family members that my husband is a liar and she knows he took it.
What recourse do we have? Is this slander? Help!

seniorjudge

There are thousands of posts similar to yours so I have prepared a standard answer:

Get a lawyer.

Invest $20K and three years.

Sue the bad people for defamation. (Libel is the general term for written defamation; slander is the general term for spoken defamation.)

If you win, expect them to keep doing it.

If you lose, expect them to keep doing it.

Stand by for other opinions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">