• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Sm Clms only for $ ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bambesi

What is the name of your state? maryland

Is Small Claims Court only for disputes involving money? I have a noisy neighbor situation and I have already seen an attorney. He wants a $500 retainer fee and $200 an hour to file a nuisance suit. No telling how many hours will be spent in court, waiting for court, etc. so I could wind up spending thousands of dollars. I just want for both parties to go in front of a judge or someone that can hear our case and can do something about this neighbor who is ruining my life. Can I do something like this in small claims court? If not, does anyone have any ideas how I can do this without using an attorney? Thank you! Please e-mail me [email protected].

HomeGuru

Bambesi said:
What is the name of your state? maryland

Is Small Claims Court only for disputes involving money? I have a noisy neighbor situation and I have already seen an attorney. He wants a $500 retainer fee and $200 an hour to file a nuisance suit. No telling how many hours will be spent in court, waiting for court, etc. so I could wind up spending thousands of dollars. I just want for both parties to go in front of a judge or someone that can hear our case and can do something about this neighbor who is ruining my life. Can I do something like this in small claims court? If not, does anyone have any ideas how I can do this without using an attorney? Thank you! Please e-mail me [email protected].
**A: check to see if there is a neighborhood mediation center in your area.

JETX

From the Maryland small claims site:
"To be tried as a small claim in District Court, your case must meet the following conditions:
• Your claim is for $2,500 or less; and,
• Your claim is for money only, not the return of property or performance of a service; and,
• You are not planning to request any discovery such as interrogatories (written questions that the other side must answer under oath in writing, before trial)."

Since your cause of action does not meet these conditions, it cannot be brought in that court.

I agree with HomeGuru and suggest you visit the following site (on Maryland small claims):
http://www.courts.state.md.us/district/smallclaims.html#Step1

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">