• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Buisiness Defendant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pabloj24

I had a small business (partnership) in Massachusetts and was sued for not providing "quility" snow plowing services. The condo association took me to court and it showed up on my credit score. My partner has not involved.

Should this be on my credit score?

sandyclaus

I had a small business (partnership) in Massachusetts and was sued for not providing "quility" snow plowing services. The condo association took me to court and it showed up on my credit score. My partner has not involved.

Should this be on my credit score?
If a judgment was issued against you as a named defendant, then yes. That would appear on your credit report and affect your credit score accordingly.

pabloj24

Well this raises the question ... Should I even have been named as the defendent? Technically they should have taken the business to court?

If I can recall (since this happened 2 years ago) they filled it out as "John Smith, dba Smith Snow Plowing".

The worst part is that it was a civil small claims court and the condo members (3 people) told the moderator that I never put down any salt but I did put down lots of salt. The condo association paid upfront for unlimited plowing for the season and we only got 2 storms and I think they were just trying to get their money back. They blatantly lied. No one, including myself had proof either way so the moderator made me pay them back 1/2 of the amount they had paid upfront. BS!

Proserpina

Well this raises the question ... Should I even have been named as the defendent? Technically they should have taken the business to court?

If I can recall (since this happened 2 years ago) they filled it out as "John Smith, dba Smith Snow Plowing".

That would be the correct way to do it.

Proseguru

You had your day in court 2 years ago and are now complaining about a ding on your credit report?

I think you are still not happy with the moderator's decision.

What do you want now? A blemish on your credit report to go away? It will, over time.

Antigone*

The worst part is that it was a civil small claims court and the condo members (3 people) told the moderator that I never put down any salt but I did put down lots of salt. The condo association paid upfront for unlimited plowing for the season and we only got 2 storms and I think they were just trying to get their money back. They blatantly lied. No one, including myself had proof either way so the moderator made me pay them back 1/2 of the amount they had paid upfront. BS!
If you had a partnership as you indicated in your first post, you are personally responsible for the debts of the partnership. You are being properly held liable for this debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">