• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small calims/counterclaim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bailey77

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My ex-boyfriend is suing me in small claims court for an email he has from me where I stated I would pay him back for the car insurance he paid for me while we were together. He had previously agreed to pay this insurance as we had a home together and it was cheaper for both of us to have the insurance in one policy. The email he has from me states I will pay him approx. $1600 if he gives me the remainder of my things and I sign off of the house. He let me in the house the following weekend to get my things (without paying him) and I still have not signed off the house. I am hoping this is enough to the judge to not rule in his favor.

My big question is when I was served with this case I was not able to get any legal advice and I filed a counterclaim for harassment and car damage. My ex is stating per Oregon law I cannot coutersue him as it is not related to the first case. Is this true? Am I going into court looking stupid for filing this claim? Our hearing is this Friday and I just want to be prepared that if I can drop the claim prior to it then that would be much better then being told in front of him I can't bring up the claim.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

My ex is stating per Oregon law I cannot coutersue him as it is not related to the first case. Is this true?

No, take whatever documentation you have and let the judge rule.

bailey77 said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

My ex-boyfriend is suing me in small claims court for an email he has from me where I stated I would pay him back for the car insurance he paid for me while we were together. He had previously agreed to pay this insurance as we had a home together and it was cheaper for both of us to have the insurance in one policy. The email he has from me states I will pay him approx. $1600 if he gives me the remainder of my things and I sign off of the house. He let me in the house the following weekend to get my things (without paying him) and I still have not signed off the house. I am hoping this is enough to the judge to not rule in his favor.

My big question is when I was served with this case I was not able to get any legal advice and I filed a counterclaim for harassment and car damage. My ex is stating per Oregon law I cannot coutersue him as it is not related to the first case. Is this true? Am I going into court looking stupid for filing this claim? Our hearing is this Friday and I just want to be prepared that if I can drop the claim prior to it then that would be much better then being told in front of him I can't bring up the claim.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Am I understanding you correctly?

You send an e-mail to your ex, telling him that you will reimburse him this 1600 dollars if he were to let you in your former home, get your things, and for you to sign off on this home. He then fulfills his part of this contract (that YOU created on terms YOU dictated), and somehow you are hoping that the judge will see something positive in your favor out of this scenario?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">