• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claim 1

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kawimanz1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota, I played in a band and became good friends with one member. He quit his job and went to Nashville to record. Upon his return he had no job and as a friend will do I lent him money from time to time. I had no problem taking his word that he would repay me. after 2 years of lending him money which has accumulated up to approximately 2k. he now is working again at a job in which I was instrumental in him getting. I asked him to start paying me back and now he says he wont pay me and he never borrowed any money from me. Do I have a claim that I can win in small claims court?

Last edited:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota, I played in a band and became good friends with one member. He quit his job and went to Nashville to record. Upon his return he had no job and as a friend will do I lent him money from time to time. I had no problem taking his word that he would repay me. after 2 years of lending him money which has accumulated up to approximately 2k. he now is working again at a job in which I was instrumental in him getting. I asked him to start paying me back and now he says he wont pay me and he never borrowed any money from me. Do I have a claim that I can win in small claims court?
In court, it's all about what you can prove.

Unless you have some proof in writing, or a paper trail showing that money you had was given to this friend with an intention of repayment, then proving a debt will be difficult, if not impossible. Your friend is already saying he didn't borrow anything, and it's very likely he will stick to that story if you end up taking him to court over this matter.

Probably best to write this one off rather than waste your money and time trying to get a judgment that may be even more difficult to collect.

kawimanz1

small claims 1

thanks, sandyclause. Thats about what I figured. I'm going to go and check with my county attourney anyway. I do have some witnesses that may testify or write a deposition to the facts which may sway the Judge as to creditability of the defendant. Again'thanks for your time and input

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">