• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claim - how to use email and or text messages as evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curious12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

In small claims court, I am trying to prove an oral contract exists for a debt. I have an email from the debtor that shows that he acknowledges the debt (the email shows the amount owed and asks for more money) . I also have a couple of texts that say he is going to send a promissory note. In a final email, he states that he wont pay unless I agree to enter into another agreement with him (and give him more money).

How are emails used in court? Do I print a copy of the whole email thread? Or just the response from him?

How are texts used in court? I know I cant bring a phone into court so do I send the text to my email? Or do I take a picture of the text on my phone?

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please keep all your questions about this matter in the same thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/small-claims-courts-24/oral-contract-588640.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">