• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claim for money collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sanjiv

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? north carolina
my ex-grilfriend want to sue me in small claim court how will i know i am being sued? we both are international student in USA. she lives in california and want to sue me using attorney. she give me gift for x amount and now she want to claim back we argued and i offered some money using mail but she do not cooperate and want to sue me for the money which we do not both agree. how to handle this case

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? north carolina
my ex-grilfriend want to sue me in small claim court how will i know i am being sued? we both are international student in USA. she lives in california and want to sue me using attorney. she give me gift for x amount and now she want to claim back we argued and i offered some money using mail but she do not cooperate and want to sue me for the money which we do not both agree. how to handle this case
She's not going to use an attorney to sue you in small claims court in California since attorney's aren't allowed[SUP]*[/SUP] in small claims court in California. Additionally, she would need to sue you in your state, and I doubt she's going to travel there.

I must say that I congratulate your ex on her assimilation in to the American way of life. :rolleyes:

[SUP]*[/SUP]Attorney's ARE allowed in California small claims court in very limited circumstances, none of which apply here.

latigo

she would need to sue you in your state (?) . . . .
Not necessarily so! There isn't enough here to know.

However, more than a few non-resident defendants have been successfully haled into California's civil courts thanks to Section 410.10 of the state's Code of Civil Procedure; acclaimed to be the most far sweeping long arm statute in the country. You might have consider becoming "assimilated" before uttering such a categorical no-no.

Zigner

Not necessarily so! There isn't enough here to know.

However, more than a few non-resident defendants have been successfully haled into California's civil courts thanks to Section 410.10 of the state's Code of Civil Procedure; acclaimed to be the most far sweeping long arm statute in the country. You might have consider becoming "assimilated" before uttering such a categorical no-no.
I think you need to understand that, based on the facts that WERE given, this OP is not going to be haled (sic) in to California's small claims court. We can start with the matter of effecting service, if you would like.

Zigner

My apologies to latigo. It seems that "hale in to court" is a correct, albeit old, way to say it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">