• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claim from prospective roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThomasG07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
I had a prospective roommate who was moving into the house that I live in that is owned by my mother and step father in arizona. My soon to be roommate who did not sign a lease or anything, suggest that we get directv and I agreed. He set up the service in his name and had it installed about a month before he was going to move in. Before the install he had said that he was not going to be able to move in because he couldnt afford that rent so my parents accomodated him and said he could pay 50 dollars less and he agreed that was ok. After the directv was installed he backed out of renting again after losing his job which he had just been hired a couple weeks before. I told him that I didnt want the directv service anymore because the service was not as good as what I had prior and was not all he cracked it up to be. He did not contest having the service removed from my house and he is now facing a 470 dollar charge to break the contract. Now he wants to take me to small claims court because he says I "burned" him with the directv. We told him after the second back out of renting that he was no longer allowed to be a tennant. Is he going to be able to get any money from me?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
I had a prospective roommate who was moving into the house that I live in that is owned by my mother and step father in arizona. My soon to be roommate who did not sign a lease or anything, suggest that we get directv and I agreed. He set up the service in his name and had it installed about a month before he was going to move in. Before the install he had said that he was not going to be able to move in because he couldnt afford that rent so my parents accomodated him and said he could pay 50 dollars less and he agreed that was ok. After the directv was installed he backed out of renting again after losing his job which he had just been hired a couple weeks before. I told him that I didnt want the directv service anymore because the service was not as good as what I had prior and was not all he cracked it up to be. He did not contest having the service removed from my house and he is now facing a 470 dollar charge to break the contract. Now he wants to take me to small claims court because he says I "burned" him with the directv. We told him after the second back out of renting that he was no longer allowed to be a tennant. Is he going to be able to get any money from me?
Nope.

Presumably the DirecTV contract was under HIS name, and it appears it was installed only because he had intended to move in. Had he not had it installed PREMATURELY, it wouldn't have been installed at all, since he never moved in. HIS problem, HIS dime, HIS early termination penalty and HIS "burning" his bridges with being able to obtain DirecTV service again in the future. It would never have happened had he held off and installed the DirecTV once he finally moved in, and that's no fault of yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">