• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claim vs. Citibank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeekingTheTruth

Citibank's Standing to Sue in California ???

Several posts in this thread identify that Citibank, N.A of South Dakota does NOT have a registered agent in California - is NOT registered with the Secretary of State (hence, one could not sue them in California).

What about being sued BY Citibank, N.A. in California?

If they are not registered in CA, how can they have STANDING to sue? (you or me, for alleged breach of contract/common accounts).

How does one bring this to light, to have a case dismissed?

Summons and all pleadings indicate Citibank South Dakota, N.A. as Plaintiff, though they are NOT registered in CA.

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Several posts in this thread identify that Citibank, N.A of South Dakota does NOT have a registered agent in California - is NOT registered with the Secretary of State (hence, one could not sue them in California).

What about being sued BY Citibank, N.A. in California?

If they are not registered in CA, how can they have STANDING to sue? (you or me, for alleged breach of contract/common accounts).

How does one bring this to light, to have a case dismissed?

Summons and all pleadings indicate Citibank South Dakota, N.A. as Plaintiff, though they are NOT registered in CA.

Thanks!
Start your own thread.

Dandy Don

Are YOU the person being sued? If there is legitimate reason for them to bring suit against you, the fact that they may not be registered there will NOT get you off the hook, as many businesses do business there but aren't registered. What are they suing you for and how much in damages are they asking for?

winter2010

small claim vs. citibank

I had to take Citibank to small claim court because I did a refund, and they didn't record it (they didn't give me back my money). They tried to assign a previously awarded claim to the refund amount.

I served them and at first they said they didn't want to give me any money back. When I reminded them that I have a hard copy receipt, they then try to settle the amount on the receipt. But they didn't want to give me any more money - punitive or court filing fees, server fees, etc...

The refund amount is close to $1000 and the punitive damage I seek was $5000 - they induced unnecessary stress on me, and I was pregnant - I ended up having a C-section due to fetal stress.

My question is: what is the usual percentage of punitive amount would a judge give? And would I get the court filing fees, server fees, etc. if I do go to court?

Antigone*

Three things here:

Please don't hijack someone else's post.

Please don't revive a dead thread.

Punitive damages:rolleyes: give me a break:rolleyes:

Hoola

citicorp credit services

What happened is I called Citibank Legal Department. They told me I should serve some entity called Citicorp Credit Services, which is in California. So I did that, and 10 days later I got a call from Citibank paralegal and we reached a settlement. What's interesting is that in the settlement it said that when serving Citibank, N.A., I incorrectly named them Citicorp Credit Services, but it did not seem to be the obstacle.
Friedice, thank you so much for posting this thread, it will help me tremendously. What was the final address for Citicorp Credit Services that you used for the claim?

racer72

Friedice, thank you so much for posting this thread, it will help me tremendously. What was the final address for Citicorp Credit Services that you used for the claim?
Friedlice hasn't been to this site in almost 2 years. That's a risk of necroposting.

You are not the first one to complain about such snide remarks from "Senior Members" who think they know it all.
Willyjo is correct on some Sr. members ... I think that some take postings too personally .... like you cannot post a different opinion w/o them feeling the need to attack a poster. If that makes them feel like big people then I pity them.

racer72

Willyjo is correct on some Sr. members ... I think that some take postings too personally .... like you cannot post a different opinion w/o them feeling the need to attack a poster. If that makes them feel like big people then I pity them.
Willylo hasn't been to this site in almost 2 years. That's a risk of necroposting.

briongerard

Here's the correct information:

You are serving CITICORP CREDIT SERVICES, INC (USA), this is name of their business registered with the California Secretary of State's Office.

According to their most recent 1505 Filing with the Secretary of State's Office their Registered Corporate Agent For Service of Process in California is:

C T Corporation Systems
818 West 7th Street Suite 930
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 627-8252

It lists three names for service:

Amanda Garcia
Vivian Imperial
Gladys Aguilera

Since their Form 1505 was last filed with the Secretary of State's Office on June 25, 2018 I would recommend that you call C T Corporation Systems to first verify that one of these three woman still work there although I not sure how important that you need to include a name if the certified latter for service is to CITICORP CREDIT SERVICES, INC (USA) in c/o C T Corporation Systems, I'm sure they know what to do with a lawsuit when received without a name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">