• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claim vs. Citibank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

friedice

Hi, I want to sue Citibank in small claims over a charge dispute they didn't honor. I reside in California, and I had trouble finding their agent for service on the ss.ca.gov. Also how do I find out their exact legal name? Is it Citibank (South Dakota), N.A.? Or is it Citigroup? Can someone please help me? Thanks.

CourtClerk

I'll get the info... brb.

You may want to call either the Department of Corporations or the Secretary of State's office to verify this information because although it's the only one they have listed, I don't know if it's the same Citibank

CITIBANK (BANAMEX USA)
Number: C0449214 Date Filed: 4/10/1963 Status: active
Jurisdiction: California
Address
2029 CENTURY PARK EAST 42ND FL
LOS ANGELES, CA 90067
Agent for Service of Process
ALFREDO SANCHEZ
2029 CENTURY PARK EAST 42ND FL
LOS ANGELES, CA 90067

Last edited:

friedice

Thanx, but that's also the one I found. I talked to small claims advisor, and she told me that she doubts that's the right one. I'm wondering if the name should be Citigroup, cuz techically Citibank is part of it.

racer72

Your small claims advisor is wrong, the reference by Court Clerk is the correct person to serve. That person is an agent for Citibank. You will also find out the person is an attorney for a large law firm too.

CourtClerk

In fact, CT Corp is the agent for process for a whole lot of corporations that do business out of state. You may want to call them and see if Citibank and/or Citigroup is one of their clients:

CITIGROUP INVESTMENTS INC.
Number: C2059882 Date Filed: 11/4/1997 Status: active
Jurisdiction: DELAWARE
Address
3800 CITIGROUP CENTER DR
TAMPA, FL 33610

Agent for Service of Process
C T CORPORATION SYSTEM
818 WEST SEVENTH ST
LOS ANGELES, CA 90017

friedice

Your small claims advisor is wrong, the reference by Court Clerk is the correct person to serve. That person is an agent for Citibank. You will also find out the person is an attorney for a large law firm too.

And how do I find out who that person is?

friedice

C T CORPORATION SYSTEM did not have clients such as just "Citibank", or "Citigroup", but rather some combination such as "Citigroup Investments" etc., and their rep told me they go strictly by secretary of state site, which I looked at and which did not clarify anything for me either. I did obtain a Citibank legal number though: 1-605-331-1662. I left them a message, so hopefully I'll get a response soon.

friedice

Ok, here's what I got for those of you who are interested:

Citibank (South Dakota), N.A. does not have an agent for service in California, but they do have one in South Dakota:

Ken Stork
701 Easth 60th Street North
Sioux Falls, SD 57117

friedice

Why not? California was the place where I signed the contract (signed up for a credit card). I just need to serve Secretary of State of CA, and he will serve Sec. of State of SD and that Sec. will serve Citibank of South Dakota, N.A.

tranquility

Many such contracts will list where any lawsuits must take place. Some will also say *if* lawsuits, rather than arbitration, can take place. What does yours say?

Dandy Don

Post the name and address of the business you are wanting agent for process on and I can look up the bank name in the bank directory to find the headquarters address for that bank for you so that you will have the correct information to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">