• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Elaine55

W
hat is the name of your state? North Carolina I wrote a check to my roomate for bills of that month. The check bounced,my roomate didn't let me know that it had bounced she went to her parents and got the money for the check. Her parents are now calling and making threats about me paying them the money.i had no problem in paying my roomate for the check if she had let me know but i don't feel that i should have to pay her parents because i didn't ask them to pay it for me please help they are calling my work every day

H

hexeliebe

And what part of this don't you understand. The parents had every right to "BUY THE DEBT". And now they have every right to request payment.

Do you think that when you buy a car or home that your payments go to the place of business/bank where you did the financing? No, it's usually sold at a discount to a larger bank or finance company.

Pay the parents, apologize and thank your lucky stars they don't turn the check over to the District Attorney for prosecution.

JETX

I disagree with Hex on this one.
Your contract (the check) was with the roommate, not the parents.

And this has a very easy solution. Pay the roommate the money you owe him/her, get a receipt or pay by money order. Then, if the parents continue calling you, tell them debt is paid and to talk to their child.
Please call the next case......

H

hexeliebe

Well damn, and I was batting 1000....O.K. guess it's time for another cup of coffee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">