• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laydluck

What is the name of your state? MI

Have a girlfriend that owes me plenty of dough. She is presently not working, but hubby is. Can I sue both of them since as her husband he's responsible for her, or do I just sue her and get a lien against their State Tax Return?:eek:What is the name of your state?

Happy Trails

laydluck said:
What is the name of your state? MI

Have a girlfriend that owes me plenty of dough. She is presently not working, but hubby is. Can I sue both of them since as her husband he's responsible for her, or do I just sue her and get a lien against their State Tax Return?:eek:What is the name of your state?
You sue the person you had the agreement with. The husband didn't agree to anything, so you have no reason to sue him.

Are you sure you can prove that she owes you the money and agreed to pay you back?

laydluck

Mar 28, 2006 her husband had her arrested for DV. She called me in the middle of the night so drunk I could barely understand her and begged me to bail her out. I have telephone bills with the correctional calls listed, the bail rec. and a barn (that I rent out to persons for storage) full of her household furniture. She and I verbally agreed that she could stay in my home for as long as she liked, however she would be charged rent, and had to help with the bills. She has held several positions as a receptionist, bar mgr. and the like, so getting work wasn't going to be difficult, except she never looked for work. After listening to her turn down jobs, I asked her to leave.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Or Not

Since you've already asked her to leave, it's a bit late now, but try to get anything you can from her in writing regarding your agreement. Verbal agreements boil down to her word against yours, she could have been calling you in the middle of the night for any number of reasons. (That said, ANYTHING you have on paper to prove your case will help, possibly even phone records.)

Just so you know, you can not hold her property as collateral for the money she owes you. If you try to and it comes to a lawsuit this will be held against you.

laydluck

Just so you know, OR NOT:

Section 570.524 Michigan

SELF-SERVICE STORAGE FACILITY ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 148 of 1985

570.524 Denial of access upon nonpayment of rent; disclosure of nontenant occupant.

Sec. 4.

(1) Upon the failure of a tenant to pay the rent when it becomes due, the owner may, without notice, not less than 5 days after the date the rent is due, deny the tenant access to the personal property located in the self-service storage facility or self-storage unit.

(2) The tenant who signs a rental agreement for storage space at a self-service storage facility shall disclose in writing the identity, including name, address, and telephone number, of the occupant if the occupant is other than the tenant who signs the agreement.

History: 1985, Act 148, Eff. Mar. 31, 1986 ;-- Am. 2000, Act 443, Imd. Eff. Jan. 9, 2001

This is the basis on which I will deny her access to her property.
Thanks for the input, though. ;)

Last edited:

lambshelly

Just my two cents worth.

Confused that you say this is your GF and that there is a "hubby". What are you doing?
Is this a former GF? If so not so good, if she did this while married I think then there are some other laws that may come into play. You need to leave more details.

Good Luck.

Shay-Pari'e

lambshelly said:
Just my two cents worth.

Confused that you say this is your GF and that there is a "hubby". What are you doing?
Is this a former GF? If so not so good, if she did this while married I think then there are some other laws that may come into play. You need to leave more details.

Good Luck.
How many more details do you need? What other laws? His girl is married, and does not have a written agreement to pay him back. He is out of luck.

laydluck

I think everyone is reading more into this that what exsist...I am a lady, hence the name Laydluck, and my "girlfriend" is just a friend. I'm not or have ever slept with this woman, and this is just a small claim case worth less than $3000.
Here's what I've decided to do:

Sue her, obtain a judgement, after first payment is missed, I will obtain a lein against his and her State Tax Return in which he can file for an injured spouse form.

Got it you guys, so thanks much for all of the input.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">