• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lohsandi

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My son and I have been issued a civil complaint against us by his former college roommate. He is seeking utility payments for the summer months in which my son did not live in the apartment. We are amenable to paying the bills, however we were never given copies of the bills. My son issued a check to pay for the utilities and after giving his roommate the check spoke to his other roommates and they thought they were being over charged for the utilities. My son stopped payment on the check and requested copies of the bills. Instead of receiving copies of the bills, we received a civil complaint and repeated abusive emails when trying to resolve the problem. What is my son's responsibility to payment of these bills and the additional district justice charges? There was never a signed roommate agreement, for the lease months of August 2005 through August 2006, we paid the rent to the apartment complex and up until the months of May my son paid for his share of the monthly utilities. The roommate assumed all responsibility for the utilties under his name only. Another sad turn of events is that my son was encountered by his former roommate at a local bar last night and within 24 hours the roommate filed charges stating that my son pushed him. With no concrete evidence of an altercation, the local police notified my son that he will be charged with harassment because the roommate and his friend stated that he was pushed. Ironically, the roommate had threatened this type of recourse repeatedly. We realize that this is a separate issue that we will be fighting in court also with his witnesses.

BL

Lacking a lease , He would only be responsible for the time He did-not give proper notice as per State's Laws .

The other issue would be up to the Court to decide .

It's not unusual with 2 or more witnesses for an Individual to be charged .

He could try to claim false claim of retaliation , but then again the court may believe the incident did occur from an argument over the roomy issues .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">