• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gingersnapps

What is the name of your state? New York

I bought a laptop from a man selling in a convention center. The laptop is not in the condition that he promised. Before I bought the laptop I had the man write a 30 day warrienty. This man's base of business is in another state ( Ohio ). I have tried to call this man and then tried to send back the laptop by certified mail for a refund of my money. The laptop was returned unclaimed. I need to know if i can file a suit in small claims in New York or have to go down to Ohio where he is located and file there. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank You,
gingersnapps

ForFun

Since you bought the laptop from the man in NY, you can sue in NY. Ohio will recognize NY's personal jurisdiction over the man, and will allow you to domesticate the judgment, should you win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">