• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Star12

What is the name of your state? Nevada
I was taken to small claims by my next door neighbor (whom actually rents her home out). I was served with papers to appear in court for the repair of a common fence. I was never given a "demand for payment" before I was served. The tenant claims that I have a vicious dog that tore down the common fence (this is a total lie). Well, she sued me for $1700 for the repair & court costs. The hole itself required 22 boards be replaced. I had a licensed fence company come out and give me a quote on how much it would cost for him to repair the fence. He quoted me $170 for materials and labor. The owner of the home had a "friend" come out and fix the fence and other home improvement repairs beside the hole in the fence. I have no clue about small claims and was not aware of what a counterclaim is, so I didn't counteclaim. I went to court thinking it would be dismissed due to: 1)No demand of payment 2) no proof 3)lies about me owning a vicious dog. 4)No way the repair to the fence cost $1300. Well that slapped me in the fence. This lady came with a money order for $1300(no name on money order) and an Invoice from her friend with a LIST of fixes he did around the entire yard and it stated that it cost him $1300 for ALL the repairs he did for her. There was no receipts for materials or labor, just his statement on a piece of paper labeled INVOICE. Then, in court, the tenant testifies that my dog killed her dog, this did not happen and her dog is still living today. After that testimony the judge immediately made a judgement for the plaintiff for $665 (half of repair costs). So, I go to appeal it, right. The court clerks office says because it was seen by a JP, I could ask to have it seen by a real judge and they set a date for a month later. GREAT Right, not...two days later I get a call from court clerks office stating that they made a mistake and it was seen by a Judge pro tem, so if I wanted to appeal, I would have to take it to District court which I needed to pay $200 for the transcripts, $130 for court fees, post the bond for $665 and that I had to do it by the end of day due to a time limit. Well, I don't have that kind of money so I couldn't. Is there anything that I can do here????? This is ridiculous. The lady should have put a new roof on and charged me half for it, because this judge would have given it to her.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Star12

re:

I paid the fine, but my question was: Is there anything I can do, so I can get some of my money back for paying for the 22 boards replaced on fence, plus her shed door replaced, house back window replaced, and new grass put in front yard? That was on the INVOICE list from her friend and the judge looked right past all the other home improvements he did and made me pay for half of everything. OR would you suggest I let it go and my neighbor gets a Merry Christmas present from me?

seniorjudge

I paid the fine, but my question was: Is there anything I can do, so I can get some of my money back for paying for the 22 boards replaced on fence, plus her shed door replaced, house back window replaced, and new grass put in front yard? That was on the INVOICE list from her friend and the judge looked right past all the other home improvements he did and made me pay for half of everything. OR would you suggest I let it go and my neighbor gets a Merry Christmas present from me?
Tell me when I get to a word you do not understand: double post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">