• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

livelaughlove

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

In 2009 I found out that my mother and father stole my SSN. I went to the police but they seem to have another issues to deal with and they haven't touch my case. Can I take my parents to small claims or does this not fall under small claims.What paperwork will I need to have? I can't afford a lawyer so I have to represent myself. There has also been abuse from my dad in my past..Can I also sue him for emotional distress? Also is there a deadline for me to get this case going?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

In 2009 I found out that my mother and father stole my SSN. I went to the police but they seem to have another issues to deal with and they haven't touch my case. Can I take my parents to small claims or does this not fall under small claims.What paperwork will I need to have? I can't afford a lawyer so I have to represent myself. There has also been abuse from my dad in my past..Can I also sue him for emotional distress? Also is there a deadline for me to get this case going?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Some questions:

When they stole your SSN, what specific damages did you suffer or incur, in monetary terms? Did they commit fraud and use your SSN to obtain credit in your name? Has your credit been damaged by this action? How old were you when this began and how old are you now?

You will also want to contact the creditors and credit bureaus IMMEDIATELY to notify them that your identity was stolen. With these parties involved, there is a distinct possibility that they will involve and report to the authorities for you because they, too, have been defrauded.

Finally, I really think none of these issues are matters appropriate for small claims, because of the subject matter and liability, as well as the possible criminal charges that could/should be brought here. Try your local Legal Aid to see if they can take the case or refer you to an attorney who can help you pro bono, or at least advice you on the best way to proceed from here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">