• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vanbogue

What is the name of your state? California

I invested money for our children when my ex and I were still married, the money was from the sale of our previous house. The account was in my name with the ex listed as the beneficiary. After divorce, he was arrested, I loaned him $2500.00 from the account for a lawyer. He since refuses to pay it back, saying he is going to set up his own savings for children and the money was community property so he does not have to pay back. What are the chances of getting this money back in small claims court and is there a time limit as to how long I have to file?

Thank you

seniorjudge

Q: What are the chances of getting this money back in small claims court and is there a time limit as to how long I have to file?

A: The chances of getting a judgment are good; the chances of collecting the judgment are around zero.

Google california small claims for more info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">