• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hugh jameson

michigan i want to know if i can file to deny a small claims appeal or have a hearing on his reason for appeal? if not ,do we labor on the point that they were given 2 chances already and ask the judge why they appealed when we appear in court? the first time was a matter for discovery and the second time they did not co-operate in the discovery process and their expert witness was a no show which we had noted so the judge dismissed the case.

Last edited:

JETX

Your post is somewhat confusing in that apparently a small claims case was appealed.

However, the Michigan Court website says that a small claims judgment cannot be appealed:
"A judge's decision is final. Neither you nor the defendant can appeal to a higher court once the judge has made a decision in the small claims division; although, on petition by either party, the same judge may reopen the case in the small claims division. Either party may appeal a magistrate's decision. The case would be rescheduled before a judge and both parties would explain their case again."
Source: http://www.courts.michigan.gov/scao/services/selfhelp/smallclaims.htm

Apparently (from another site) MI small claims dismissals and defaults are the only 'issues' that can be appealed.

H

hugh jameson

thanks. i also want to know if i can counter sue if i can prove they are trying to decieve the court and waste our time. they will commit pergury.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">