• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rjcrutcher

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I took out a credit card from GE money bank for a friend in May 2008 because they did not have any credit. There was a verbal agreement to pay me back within a year because there was a six month intrest free option when I signed up. We created an online account that would use his checking account and routing number to withdraw payments when submitted. I have only made one payment and that was in January of 2011 because I did not want the debt to go to collections. The individual has refused to pay. This was not a gift. I have texts where he confirms this as his debt. I have a letter from his bank stating I have never had an account with them and they provided me with their routing number which is the same as the online account. I have all my bank statements reflecting I have only made one payment since 2008. The original balance was 372.00 and has increased to over 1000.00 due to late fees because his refusal to pay. I work for a non-profit serving adults with disabilities and make very little money. I am trying to save as much money as I can so I can volunteer for Americorps and this debt is a burdern. The bill I paid in January 2011 was over 100 dollars and that money was meant for my groceries. This is affecting me emotionally and financially. I am wondering what I need to do to get this money back? Can I take him to small claims? Do I need to take my tax return money (which I was planning on using for savings for Americorps) to pay it all back and then take him to court? I have learned my lesson and regret ever trying to help someone out like this. The only link to this debt is unfortunately my name; his name, email, checking and routing number, and phone number is set up on the online account. Someone please help! What can I do?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I took out a credit card from GE money bank for a friend in May 2008 because they did not have any credit. There was a verbal agreement to pay me back within a year because there was a six month intrest free option when I signed up. We created an online account that would use his checking account and routing number to withdraw payments when submitted. I have only made one payment and that was in January of 2011 because I did not want the debt to go to collections. The individual has refused to pay. This was not a gift. I have texts where he confirms this as his debt. I have a letter from his bank stating I have never had an account with them and they provided me with their routing number which is the same as the online account. I have all my bank statements reflecting I have only made one payment since 2008. The original balance was 372.00 and has increased to over 1000.00 due to late fees because his refusal to pay. I work for a non-profit serving adults with disabilities and make very little money. I am trying to save as much money as I can so I can volunteer for Americorps and this debt is a burdern. The bill I paid in January 2011 was over 100 dollars and that money was meant for my groceries. This is affecting me emotionally and financially. I am wondering what I need to do to get this money back? Can I take him to small claims? Do I need to take my tax return money (which I was planning on using for savings for Americorps) to pay it all back and then take him to court? I have learned my lesson and regret ever trying to help someone out like this. The only link to this debt is unfortunately my name; his name, email, checking and routing number, and phone number is set up on the online account. Someone please help! What can I do?

You have to have paid the debt in order to be recompensated. Once you've paid the debt in full, sue the bad guy in small claims court.

rjcrutcher

How can I prove it is his debt? I have a letter from his bank stating I have never had an account there. It is his banking information set up with the online account.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How can I prove it is his debt? I have a letter from his bank stating I have never had an account there. It is his banking information set up with the online account.
You have the "proof" in the various items you listed in your OP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">