• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sz23

I have a small claims case in 2 weeks (I'm the plaintiff) and am representing myself. How do I prepare?

sandyclaus

I have a small claims case in 2 weeks (I'm the plaintiff) and am representing myself. How do I prepare?
US LAW ONLY.

If you had provided your state, we could refer you to a link to your state's Small Claims Court website for further info on how to proceed.

John_DFW

Well, did the opposing party file an answer?
It's my understanding that even default judgements require the plaintiff to present the basis of the case to the court.

There are numerous online resources that guide you through what to expect, and your courts website may also have some information.

Typically you provide three copies of any evidence you are submitting, one for the judge, one for the defendant, and one for yourself.

If you need more time, you can request a continuance from the court. Your courts rules of civil procedure should outline what is good cause for a continuance and the timeline to file one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">