• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Case Needs Jurisdiction Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A&RCoaster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I'm the plaintiff in a breach of contract small claims case. It went in front of a magistrate this past week. It will be continued in 2-3 weeks since she required me to transcribe a phone conversation because it was too long to listen to. I mentioned this to a friend and he pointed out that as my business is no longer in that city, and I'd moved it shortly before the breach of contract occurred, that I'd filed in the wrong jurisdiction and need to have it changed. The court and told me to get an attorney or research my state's code, which I did, but found nothing pertaining to small claims. I can and will file the necessary papers, but I need to know what to ask for, if documents are transferred from the original court, etc.

tranquility

Your friend is an idiot.

There is no personal or subject matter jurisdiction issue here. Even if you were talking about an entirely different state's court system before and after the move, we could probably have jurisdiction in Ohio.

The better term here is venue.

If the other side objects to venue in court, THEN deal with it. Until then, forget it. You can't lose a case for venue. It will only transfer to the proper place. In a small claims when everyone is standing in front of a judge? Not ever gonna happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">