• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims or Civil Court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mwerner710

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have a claim against an individual (her Insurance Company) for the damage to my automobile. The Police Officer wrote the accident report incorrectly, in as it shows that my son, (who was driving) was in the wrong. I later located two eye witnesses that witnessed the accident and clearly state the other driver as being at fault.

Her Insurance Company is trying to delay payment and only pay a percentage of the damages. (It is an older car and I only had liability insurance, so they see a way out). I just sent her a demand letter for the damages. I expect her to forward this to her Insurance Company.

My questions are: The claim is for $3900.00. Would it be better to hire a Lawyer and take this to Civil Court? Or go ahead to Small Claims? If I hire a Lawyer, is the Insurance Company bound to paying his fees if I win? Can I even find a Lawyer who will take this case being that the value is low?

Let me know your thoughts
Thank you, Mike

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">