• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims clarification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loveari

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mass.

I have a question about filing in small claims court. I am in dispute with my former landlord over two issues. Can I file claim concerning both issues on one form or will they be treated separately? While picking up the small claims form at the local courthouse, the clerk said that was a good question and she wasn't sure how I should proceed but then she just advised to put both issues on one form. Would I be wise to first seek legal counsel? I do plan on representing myself as I feel I have a pretty solid case on both points. I just don't want to jeopardize my position or have the whole thing tossed because I didn't fill the paperwork out properly. Any words of wisdom from anyone who has been in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

johnacastro

Depends

You need to be more revealing if you want to avoid having to hire an attorney.

It depends if the issues are connected. I can't sue my neighbor because last year his car destroyed my lawn and 6 months ago he accidently hit a dog in the head that resulted in medical bills and this month he accidentally broke my window. They would be too disconnected and not related.

Now, if he ruined my lawn yesterday, hit my dog last night, and broke my window this morning, I can certainly file one, single claim.

It's a real stretch and totally depends on the circumstances. Provide more details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">