• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Johnsmom

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My sister in law left her freezer at our house about 8 years ago. She all of a sudden wants it back. What legal rights do we have to this freezer? She is taking us to court over this matter. I just want some kind of advice.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Johnsmom said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

My sister in law left her freezer at our house about 8 years ago. She all of a sudden wants it back. What legal rights do we have to this freezer? She is taking us to court over this matter. I just want some kind of advice.

My response:

Why is it there in the first place?

Why didn't she take it with her when she left?

Did you follow your State's "Abandoned Property" law?

Why do you feel you have an ownership interest in the freezer?

Why won't you give it back voluntarily?

Was there an agreement concerning your possession of the freezer?

IAAL

J

Johnsmom

Re: Re: Small Claims Court

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Why is it there in the first place?

Why didn't she take it with her when she left?

Did you follow your State's "Abandoned Property" law?

Why do you feel you have an ownership interest in the freezer?

Why won't you give it back voluntarily?

Was there an agreement concerning your possession of the freezer?

IAAL
Answer to 1 & 2 She had to move out of the place she waas living at and haad no place to take it.

3 no
4 she told my husband she didn't want it because she had no place to take it to.
5 I feel after all these years it's ours.
She had plenty of time to come back and say I would really like my freezer bac. Why wait until we have a fire and get a new one to ask for it back.
6 no

J

Johnsmom

stephenk said:
so was her freezer destroyed in the fire? If yes, is she now asking for your new freezer?

Yes it was. ANd yes that's what she is doing. Should we give it up or go to court? Really we can't find any laws on this yet and we just want to know do we have a right to keep it.

stephenk

if she is entitled to anything it would be the value of an 8 year old freezer (was it new when she dropped it off?). She doesnt get your new freezer.

J

Johnsmom

stephenk said:
if she is entitled to anything it would be the value of an 8 year old freezer (was it new when she dropped it off?). She doesnt get your new freezer.
No it was about 13 Years old

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Let her take you to court. There is no freezer left for her to "get back." Let her prove her case to the judge. At most, if you're found liable for its value, is that you'll wind up paying $50.00. A 13 year old freezer isn't worth much on the open market.

IAAL

J

Johnsmom

Thank you. We were not sure because we can not find any Laws in Indiana on this subject.

J

Johnsmom

coosi said:
Do you still have the old burned one...:D
No if we did we would give it to her. One of my friends did tell me to give her the case # I got when the Freezer was taken off and tell her to get from the city.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">